2009/6/21 Dr. David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net>:

> In the patches directory of ntl-5.4.2.p7 there are two files which I'd
> consider makefiles (i.e. make would understand them)
>
> -rw-r-----   1 kirkby   1093         443 Mar 24  2008 ntl_makefile
> -rw-r--r--   1 kirkby   1093       17194 May 11  2008 mfile
>
> As you can see from the file sizes, there are significant differences
> between the ones that gets uses (mfile) and the one I think is not used
> at all (ntl_makefile)
>
> One difference is the way the shared library is created.
>

> The simplist (ntl_makefile) one says:
>
> libntl.so: $(OBJ)
>         $(CXX) -fPIC -shared -o libntl.so $(OBJ)
>

> That looks a pretty logical syntax to me.
>

> Now when one looks at the makefile that actually gets used, the bit for
> compiling the shared library is a lot more complex. Some of that
> complexity is obviously added so that the version number of the ntl is
> put in the library. But other bits I think are unnecessary and results
> in the name of the output file being specified twice (luckily the same
> name!)
>
> What's more, it stops the shared library building if gcc 4.4.0 uses
> Sun's linker, as it complains the output filename has been specified twice.
>
> This is what the new 'makefile' says:
>
> libntl.so: DIRNAME
>         - rm -f $(OBJ) # clean, preserving tuning parameters
>         make shobj
>         $(LINK_CXX) -fPIC -shared -Wl,-soname,lib`cat DIRNAME`.so -o
> lib`cat DIRNAME`.so $(OBJ) $(GMP_LIBDIR) $(GMP_LIB)
>         ln -s lib`cat DIRNAME`.so libntl.so
>

> I created a patch which simply removes the "-Wl,-soname,lib`cat
> DIRNAME`.so" This allows ntl to build on Solaris irrespective of whether
> gcc uses the GNU linker (part of binutils) or the Sun linker in
> /usr/ccs/bin/ld.
>
> I suspect the GNU linker is more lax than the Sun one, so does not care
> the fact the name is specified twice.
>
> Before creating a ticket, I thought I'd discuss this.
>
> Note I've only tested my change on Solaris. I've used two versions of
> gcc - one built with the GNU assembler and linker on 't2', the other
> built with the Sun linker and assembler on my own Sun (Blade 2000). The
> revised .spkg works on either.
>
> I have NOT made it Solaris-specific, as I don;t believe the syntax is
> correct. It's better to fix it on all platforms at once in that case.
>
> I could just sumbit my patch for review. But since there is a later
> version of ntl available, I could update that at the same time, so
> instead of having ntl-5.4.2.p7, I create ntl-5.5.1.
>
> I assume updating the version of ntl though would need a lot more
> testing, than what is needed if removing less than a dozen lines from a
> makefile.
> Comments ??

True and wise.  I think this should happen in two steps.  Of course, I
encourage you to do both steps in two trac tickets. :-)

I did write ntl_makefile (the simple one that makes sense to you),
since when I incorporated NTL into Sage it didn't even have support
for dynamic libraries.  I'm guessing maybe support for building shared
libraries got upstreamed incorrectly or something.  Based on the hg
log, all work on the ntl spkg has been done by mabshoff and tabbott.

 -- William