On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Robert Miller<rlmills...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried running the Sage notebook as follows, from SAGE_ROOT/devel/
> sage-main:
>
> $ ../../sage -notebook
>
> And I get the following error:
>
> Please wait while the Sage Notebook server starts...
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/Users/rlmill/sage-4.0.2/local/bin/sage-notebook", line 9, in
> <module>
>    from sage.server.notebook.all import notebook
>  File "/Users/rlmill/sage-4.0.2/devel/sage-main/sage/server/notebook/
> all.py", line 15, in <module>
>    from notebook_object import notebook, inotebook
>  File "/Users/rlmill/sage-4.0.2/devel/sage-main/sage/server/notebook/
> notebook_object.py", line 19, in <module>
>    import notebook as _notebook
>  File "/Users/rlmill/sage-4.0.2/devel/sage-main/sage/server/notebook/
> notebook.py", line 22, in <module>
>    from   sage.structure.sage_object import SageObject, load
> ImportError: No module named sage_object
>
> Can anyone reproduce this?

In python imports are relative by default, so "import sage" does not
mean what you think.   I think long ago I hacked around this problem
for just typing "sage" to start sage, by making it change to a
different directory during startup.   (I vaguely recall doing that
specifically to get Sage to work on Cygwin, actually.)

So I think the above should be considered a bug, and you should
definitely report it to trac.  Probably the fix is to change the
directory during part of Sage startup, to thwart Python's relative
import system.

William