On Jun 24, 2009, at 12:52 AM, William Stein wrote:

> [...]

One new attribute in tab completion is fine. A dozen, not so much. I
still like the approach below better though.

>>> I am still opposed to adding a non-underscore method to SageObject.
>>>
>>> I did like Robert Bradshaw's other suggestion to do something
>>> like the
>>> following.
>>>
>>> sage: Test(foo).associativity()
>>>
>>> sage: Test?
>>> [[descript testing framework]]
>>>
>>> I.e., just create a Sage class "Test", which gives access to the
>>> test
>>> functionality, documents it, can even do something useful on objects
>>> foo that aren't necessarily SageObjects at all, etc.
>>>
>>> Test(obj) returns something that provides all kinds of functionality
>>> and methods for testing said object.  This can call certain _
>>> methods
>>> on obj.
>>
>> That would be fine for me too. The only thing I really care for is
>> for
>> the actual test methods (._test...) to be attached to foo, and
>> derived
>> from its classes.
>>
>> What syntax would you suggest to run all tests?
>>
>> One thing I am not very keen on is that to get the list of available
>> tests, one need to do:
>>
>>        sage: t = Test(foo)
>>        sage: t.ass<tab>
>>
>> But I guess I can live with that (in practice, I myself will be
>> using t._test_ass<tab>)

That also seems to read a bit funny. Why not a global tester object,
so one could do.

tester.test_associativity(foo)

(OK, the test there is a bit redundant, maybe test.associativity(foo)
or tester.is_associative(foo)")

- Robert