On Jun 26, 9:47 am, Stan Schymanski <schym...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This makes sense, thanks. The function that made me discover this
> behaviour does indeed tend towards an infinite slope at the boundary of
> the range I prescribed. However, I am not sure if I understand
> correctly. Can it happen that points outside of the range specified by
> xmin and xmax are evaluated? It does not seem to make sense to me to
> choose random points outside of the specified range. I thought that all
> the points chosen would include the xmin and xmax plus any points chosen
> in between. If a function gets evaluated outside of the specified range,
> it could lead to all sorts of problems if this function is not defined
> outside of this range.

Insofar as I understand the plotting code, this should not happen -
and in fact quite a bit of work went into making sure that things plot
okay even if the function is not defined right at or near (say) your
lower bound.  However, the plot boundaries are different from the show
xmin and xmax options, so maybe that is the confusion?  But I don't
think what you are describing should happen; all randomization is
within the bounds prescribed e.g. plot(1/x,0,1) would randomize
between 0 and 1 but not plot outside that range, for the very good
reason you mention.

- kcrisman