> Should the strings extra1, etc., be searched for only in the source
> code, or should they be searched for both in the source code and the
> file name?

I've definitely used the "search path too" behavior on purpose at
various times. In particular, doing things like adding "matrix" to the
search essentially narrows the result to the sage/matrix/ directory,
which can be handy. Of course, this is clearly a bit of a hack, and
inconsistent (as John is pointing out). So how about instead, we
implement what I'm actually trying to do with this -- add a "path"
optional argument to the search_* functions. (If you're using os.walk,
this should be pretty trivial to add, I think.) It'd be especially fun
if you could give it the name of a module (so that I could tab
complete), too.

-cc