2009/6/28 John Cremona <john.crem...@gmail.com>:

> Interesting.  My guess is that withe the new automated merging system,
> it becomes easier to merge the wrong patches form a ticket by mistake.
>  We need a more failsafe system (e.g. the ability of people who have
> uploaded patches to delete them -- can we do that?), and also it would
> be preferable if the "merged" tag said exactly which patches had been
> merged.

Whether you chose from a menu (with the script) or by manually
downloading and applying requires an equivalent decision based on
identical information.  In any case, I was in the same room as Robert
Miller when he was merging patches, and I don't think he even used the
automated script, since he considered the script too new or something.

I've reopened http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/5080, marked
it a blocker for sage-4.1, pasted David Loeffler's comment from above
in, and cc'd Tom and Robert.

Regarding deleting patches from tickets, some users can and some
can't.  I'm sure it's possible to configure trac so that *anybody* can
delete any patch from trac.   Should we do that?  Since we do have
regular snapshots/backups of the whole trac server, I vote for yes,
since if somebody deletes everything, we could recover.

 -- William

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics