At the moment, we have two tickets for changing the cloning process:

#5350: sage-clone should use hard links for the build directory
#6187: After making a clone, the reference manual (and other docs)
should not have to be completely rebuilt.

Both have positive reviews, in fact the first was supposed to have
been merged in 4.1.alpha2 but wasn't.  The two patches conflict.

#5350 makes the actual cloning process faster, and it uses less disk
space, as far as I understand it.  It doesn't help with the issue in
#6187 at all.

#6187 actually makes the cloning process slower, I think, and has no
effect on disk space, but it *greatly* speeds up the time for the two
processes clone + build docs.

If someone could produce something achieving the benefits of both of
these, that would be great.  If not, what should we do?

  John