On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Dr. David
Kirkby<david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

> William Stein wrote:

>>> Thank you very much. I'll try that now. I just did a quick hack and
>>> forced the flags to for Solaris with the Sun linker, but it would have
>>> broken on linux. I'll now do this properly.
>>>
>>> I'll have to get a book on python - I guess a visit to amazon.co.uk is
>>> in order!
>>>

>> The best books are "Dive Into Python" (tutorial), "Python in a
>> Nutshell" (reference), "Python Cookbook" (nontrivial examples).
>>
>> William
>
> Thank you. A couple of hours ago I ordered 'Core PYTHON Programming' by
> Wesley Chun
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0132269937/ref=ox_ya_os_product
>
> which appeared to get very good reviews, but is a few years old.
>
> I found 'Dive Into Python by Mark Pilgrim (2004) on Amazon'
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dive-into-Python-3-Pilgrim/dp/1430224150/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246227275&sr=1-2
>
> But I note there is a Dive into Python 3, by the same author, which is
> not yet released, but is out in 3 months
>
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dive-into-Python-3-Pilgrim/dp/1430224150/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246227275&sr=1-2
>
> perhaps I'll wait for the update.
>

> I thin' I might leave the reference book, as I guess the online
> reference is going to be more upto date.

Just for the record, the reference book -- "Python in a Nutshell" by
Alex Martelli -- is by far my favorite python book.

Dive into python is free:  http://diveintopython.org/

> FWIW, I could not get Arnaud's code to work for me exactly , as written
> as os.system returns the exit code of the program, so searching for GNU
> in the output always failed.

You could also use the subprocess module.

> The following seemed to work for me, which is heavily based on Arnaud's
> program. It replies on the fact the GNU compiler will exit with 0 if
> called with --version, as it is a valid option. In contrast, the Sun
> linker will not. as its an error.
>
> I'll add that to Trac #6437 in half hour or so, so hopefully that will
> be one more which will build on Solaris with the Sun linker. I've built
> a gcc with the Sun linker on t2 now - I'll annouce details when things
> are set up properly, as now it is just compiled.

Thanks for your persistence, and learning Python just for this.  :-)

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics