On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Craig Citro<craigci...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Perhaps this facility exists. If not, do others thinks it would be worth
>> adding?
>>

> Yep, this is very handy -- and indeed already exists. Try sage -f -m
> foo.spkg. (I have no idea what "m" stands for ... maybe William does?)

It used to be that nothing was deleted from spkg/build during the build process.
Hence during the *m*ake process, sage-spkg was always run with the -m
flag, for "make".    However, now-a-days not deleting from spkg/build
would use up too much disk space in most cases.    So it's a
historical accident.  I remember the moment I named it that thinking
"I will regret this choice of name".

> This will leave everything in $SAGE_ROOT/spkg/build after building the
> spkg.
>
> Or, alternatively, if you wanted it to work for *every* spkg, you
> could change the default value of DELETE_TMP on line 76 of
> $SAGE_ROOT/local/bin/sage-spkg.

It would be nice to make an environment variable that makes this happen
no matter what, as David Kirkby suggested aobve. One way would be to
change the variable DELETE_TMP to SAGE_DELETE_TMP then change line 76
to only set it to 0 if it is not already defined.  That would I think
nicely do the trick.

William