On Jul 3, 2009, at 1:58 PM, Rob Beezer wrote:

> On Jul 2, 10:47 pm, Dan Drake <dr...@kaist.edu> wrote:
>> Have you seen the video stuff in Firefox 3.5?
>
> OK, that's enough prompting to give it a whirl.  Very nice.
>
> To be relieved of any dependence on Flash would be very welcome.  I
> wonder if IE and friends will follow Firefox's lead on native support
> for <video> tags?
>
> I'd think perhaps having two video formats (re Tim's comments about
> Apple) would be a lesser evil than being tied to Flash.  I know
> ffmeg2theora is a tool that Ondrej uses in his project.  Looks like
> Firefox lets you specify multiple formats for a single video element:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Using_audio_and_video_in_Firefox

An example of using multiple formats is given in that link about
ffmpeg2theora. Since H.264 has a better quality for the same bitrate,
I recommend putting H.264 first in the list since any browser that
supports both formats (e.g., Chrome) will pick the first in the list.

The problem with the video tag is that IE doesn't support it, but I
think Flash can be used as a backup. I don't know what we should do
in that case since that would require three versions.

Cheers,

Tim.

---
Tim Lahey
PhD Candidate, Systems Design Engineering
University of Waterloo
http://www.linkedin.com/in/timlahey