Hello all,

This is my first time in sage-devel.  I have a project with a
professor til the end of August to construct cocompact/uniform
lattices on SL2(Z[i]) basically by quaternion algebras.  I figure that
since I'm writing code using python and sage, I might as well do it
right and incorporate it into sage.  The two contributions I could
make to sage would be 1) to redo a polished version of the code which
computes the generators of elements of reduced norm one within a
certain radius for an explicit example (hopefully extend it to a
general skew field/quaternion algebra) and 2) functionality for
quaternion algebras over the field Q(i) rather than Q.

What I have right now are some python/sage code which looks at the
quaternion algebra over Q(i) given by the field extension Q(i)(sqrt
(2)) over Q(i)  and the added relation j^2 = 5, (similar to the
construction that's already implemented over Q). The resulting algebra
produces a lattice which will be cocompact/uniform and I've
implemented the following algorithms:
1) compute the elements of reduced norm one within a ball.
2) compute left multiplication by an element
3) compute a norm for these elements (that is, by a norm for the
matrix computed in 2)

When the elements of reduced norm one are considered with
multiplication, they form a group and the following algorithm is
applicable:
4) compute generators for the elements of reduced norm one.

The trouble with algorithm 4 and 1, is that it's by complete brute
force to the point where the algorithm works but I don't know how long
it would take to find all of them (for 1 there's infinitely many).

As for adding functionality to Quaternion Algebra I would like to work
on the following:
1)  extend .is_division_algebra()  to the base field Q(i).
2) .is_anisotropic()
3) and any others.

I'm a beginning graduate student at the Florida International
University and am working closely with a professor there.  If anyone
is interested or can offer any advice (books, articles to read, ideas
for the algorithms, etc), it would be well received and I'll implement
them immediately.

Thanks in advance!
Leonard Foret