On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:53 AM, Bjarke Hammersholt
Roune<bjarke.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I very strongly agree that such a limitation is a major problem.
>> The only way I can think of to deal with it, is if any such exponent
>> appears, we switch to the polydict (nonsingular) representation, and
>> everything gets way slower, and Groebner basis computations switch to
>> a toy implementation + warning (or just fail with an error
>> immediately?).
>>
> I think dynamically switching representations when running into
> limitations of one representation is a very good solution, though I
> think it will be difficult (though not impossible) to make this work
> in practice. E.g. if Singular overflows in the middle of a
> computation, then Sage would need to discover this, recover the state
> things had before the computation, change to the polydict ring, and
> then restart the same computation - specifically Sage would need to
> know how to do this for each computation. This also presupposes that
> overflow errors are always reported by Singular (and other software
> with similar limitations), which seems not to be the case.

I think this is definitely possible.  We add some extra code to
__mul__ and a few other commands.

> I'm going to check that the issues in the trac tickets above are
> indeed due to Singular, then report them to the Singular team and ask
> them whether it is a policy for Singular to always report overflow. If
> the Singular team view silent overflow to be an important bug needing
> fixing, then I don't think it's as much of a problem as I otherwise
> would.

I strongly suspect they *will* care and view this as important.  You
might mention that at least I do.

>> However, much to my surprise the Sage-native polydict implementation
>> is in fact broken even worse!!!! (please report this to trac).
>>
> As a friendly comment I experience this to be bossy.

Oops, sorry.   I should have written "please report this to trac, if
you have the time and it isn't already there."  I hope I haven't
offended you, since that's not at all my intention.  And I'm mostly
certainly not the boss of you.

>  In any case, it's
> been in trac since Sage Days 16, where you may have noticed that I
> used polynomials for the small examples in my presentation of Frobby,
> and then switched to a list-of-exponents representation for the
> examples with large exponents - because it wouldn't work any other way
> I could find after asking around.

Yep, I remember that.

> http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6428

Thanks.