On Jul 9, 2009, at 2:32 AM, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> There was some discussion a month or two back about different
> algorithms
> for prime_pi. IIRC, Mathematica's was the fastest, Sage's was second
> fastest and Maple's method was dumb and just counted them like a 10
> year
> old could do.

I believe the fastest was some code sitting on Victor Miller's
laptop, which blew Mathematica away, but I don't think that's hit
Sage (or production) anywhere yet.

> I pointed out a link to those with accounts on sage.math.users of a
> discussion on the newsgroup comp.unix.solaris about how to get maximum
> performance from a Sun T5240 (the same machine as 't2'). It was
> quite a
> technical discussion about why old machines can be faster or slower,
> depending how the program is written. Someone wrote a program which
> computed the primes under 10,000 in C, and compared the speed of
> his old
> machine to his high spec Sun T5240 and showed the old machine was
> quicker.
>
> (BTW, 't2' has 16 cores and 128 virtual processors)
>
> A Sun employee, Andrew Gabriel, who I happen to know, then re-wrote
> the
> program for him in a way to exploit the Sun T5240 properly. William
> re-run the program yesterday and found the time drop from 21
> seconds to
> 0.6 seconds when he used 128 threads.

Yes, that was quite surprising.

> It then occurred to me that perhaps Maple's dumb method of computing
> number of primes under n might be silly on most machines, but might if
> re-written to use a parallel machine properly, it could be the most
> sensible way to do it.

Actually, the clever algorithm is very parallelizable, so you could
have the best of both worlds.

- Robert