On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 4:19 PM, Mike Witt<mwg...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Here's an example, from my comment on the ticket:
>>
>> {{{
>> x, y = var('x y')
>> plot3d(sin(pi*(x^2+y^2))/2,(x,-1,1),(y,-1,1), viewer='canvas3d',
>> plot_points=(20, 20))
>>
>> }}}
>
> Hmm.... Well, maybe I didn't actually succeed in installing the patch.
> I get: ValueError: Unknown 3d plot type: canvas3d.
>
> I did hg_sage.apply("http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/attachment/
> ticket/6447/trac_6447-canvas3d.patch") and I didn't *think* I saw
> anything that looked like and error message. I'm running sage-4.0.2.
> I've never actually tried to apply a patch before, so I'm not too sure
> what I'm doing.

I think I found your problem. The URL you specified points to the HTML
formatted diff that is displayed by default. If you scroll to the
bottom of that page, there's a link for "Download in other formats:
Original Format" -- the URL you want is actually
<http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/raw-attachment/ticket/6447/trac_6447-canvas3d.patch>.

> Is there a section in the documentation that tells about applying
> patches, and related things?

The only relevant section I could find
<http://sagemath.org/doc/developer/producing_patches.html> describes
the opposite of what you want to do. You might want to read the bit
about branches though, if you're not familiar with that feature
already. You should run "sage -clone canvas3d" to create a new branch
and THEN import the patch, so you don't inadvertently modify the main,
stable Sage branch.

Cheers,
Bill