On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Nicolas M.
Thiery<nicolas.thi...@u-psud.fr> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 04:23:29PM -0700, William Stein wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 4:24 AM, Martin
>> Albrecht<m...@informatik.uni-bremen.de> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi there,
>> >
>> > is there any compelling technical reason why we are using all.py for module
>> > level initialisation instead of the Python standard __init__.py?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Martin
>>
>> No, there is no compelling technical reason.    The actual reason is
>> that I mistakenly thought that __init__.py should be empty long long
>> ago.
>> It's simply a historical mistake that we use all.py instead of
>> __init__.py.  I would welcome somebody fixing this, assuming I'm right
>> that this is just a mistake on my part.
>
> Ah. I always though that the purpose of all.py was to advertise the
> public features that one was likely to want to import as:
>
>        from sage.bla.all import *
>
> In particular this controlled what would be imported in the sage
> interpreter. One particular aspect is that the current convention is
> that
>
>        from sage.all import *
>
> is recursive, importing everything from sage.***.all.
>
> I surely would not mind getting rid of the all if at all possible, but
> I am not sure I would want:
>
>        from sage import *
>
> to be recursive.

What would you want "from sage import *" to do?   I suspect that
nobody uses "from sage import *" right now, since it does nothing
(except define a namespace "all").  It would make sense to me for

    from sage import *

to do exactly what

   from sage.all import *

does now.