> I gave a plenary talk at a big MAA meeting a few months ago.  It was
> entirely a live demo using the Sage notebook.  It went perfectly.
> Stan Wagon gave another talk in using the Mathematica notebook, and it
> surprisingly had numerous bugs/problems as a result of bugs in
> Mathematica's notebook.   The reason my talk went well was that:
>
>   (1) I carefully prepared it.
>
>   (2) I carefully tested it, especially deleting all input cells then
> clicking "Action --> Evaluate All" before the talk a few times, just
> to make sure the talk really worked.
>
> Using Evaluate All before the talk is absolutely critical.
> It's also a very good idea to always have a backup plan, i.e. some
> sort of static version of the talk (like what Marshall describes
> above, or just pdf of something) just in case. E.g, have a working
> version of the talk installed and tested on a remote server "just in
> case".  Another easier static version that feels must more like the
> notebook while being "safe" is to take screenshots of each slide in
> the worksheet.

I guess I just like to do it the other way around, with a screencast
primarily and a notebook for interactive questions.  Often, after an
intro sage talk someone will ask, "Can Sage do X" and I can show them
on the notebook.  But I like the screencasts for more than just
reliability - it frees the speaker to concentrate on the audience and
what I am saying to them.

I am looking forward to a good slideshow mode though and hopefully I
can spend a little time helping with that.

-Marshall