On Jul 28, 1:57 pm, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:

> Should CC, CXX, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD work? If so in exactly what way?

Just as a side note from my experience of compiling other complex
programs (and I am not sure it applies to sage): if these variable
work then they have to work consistently across all packages. A
typical scenario would be some form of cross compilation, ie compiling
a 32bit program on a 64bit computer, ie defining CC='gcc -m32'. If the
variables dont work across all packages then the linking usually falls
over.
A more subtle bug associated with this is that whilest on linux there
are lib and lib64 directories, there is only one include directory.
Some packages however have different headers depending on whether they
are 32bit or 64bit compiles. More intelligent configure scripts can
take care of that but not always.

Interestingly this is often less of a problem on windows in my
experience.

regards,

jyr