Guess 2:
You need to "run" this new copy of Sage at least once, i.e. type just
"mysage" to start the Sage interpreter.
Sage recognizes that "itself" has been moved, and re-generates certain
hard-linked paths.
Have a look at (with probably  $SAGE_ROOT == ~/mysage  in your case)
the contents of the file "$SAGE_ROOT/local/lib/sage-current-
location.txt" --- it's silently updated by Sage whenever the Sage tree
is moved/copied.

Guess 3:
Using "cp -p -R" did copy all the files over, but they still have only
"Read" permission (for the "user" you are), but still not "Write"
permission, so you are not allowed to modify them (by a "$SAGE_ROOT/
sage -ba", say), although all these files are local copies now.

Cheers,
Georg

P.S.:
The first thing I do after installing a new Sage tree, is "$SAGE_ROOT/
sage -clone work", in order to always have the possibility to switch
back to "vanilla" Sage by "sage -b main", and check the old behaviour.
You can always switch again to the work branch by "sage -b work".
Usually I clone more than only one work branch, i.e. "work",
"workzwo", "test" (for testing/reviewing new patches from trac), ...