On Aug 7, 1:06 am, Simon King <simon.k...@nuigalway.ie> wrote:
> Hi Victor,
>
> On 6 Aug., 14:17, VictorMiller <victorsmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Georg, Thanks.  My situation is a bit unique (as William fully
> > understands).  Copying the sage source from sagemath.org is not an
> > option that I have.  Our sysadmins get the source and then build it
> > and make a built directory available to us on the system.  I have to
> > proceed from there.
>
> I don't know *how* special your situation is. But certainly you do not
> need to be "root" in order to build and execute Sage.
> Just download the tarball in your favourite directoory in your home
> tree (where you have write permissions), say, ~/foo/bar/, and build
> sage there, hence:
>  - go to ~/foo/bar/sage-4... (whatever version it is),
>  - type "make"
>  - go for lunch

Right.

>  - after lunch, provided sage is built, edit the file "sage" in this
> folder. What you need to do is to provide an appropriate value for
> SAGE_ROOT, which here is ~/foo/bar/sage-4...

I'm not sure you need to do this.  At least, I never have.

>  - Then, still being in this directory, you can start sage by ./sage

Another option: I have a fixed nonexistent directory (say, ~/foo/bar/
sage/) in my $PATH, and after building sage in ~/foo/bar/
sage-4.1.1.rc1-alpha35/ or whatever, I create a symlink from there to
~/foo/bar/sage/.   Then when I type "sage" from any directory, it runs
this one. I keep a few others in ~/foo/bar/sage-3.4.1/, etc., in case
I want to run an older version for some reason, and in this case, I
just specify the full path.

  John