I can't believe I forgot to run -testall! The displayhook was using
the wrong output stream in doctesting mode. I've managed to fix this
issue  in my branch. However, I realize now that since the displayhook
changes the output format for some objects, any doctests which rely
upon the old output format will have to be modified. This appears to
be a significant number of doctests. In that case, maybe the
displayhook isn't worth it?