On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 4:55 PM, Robert Kern<robert.k...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-08-13 16:25 PM, Kurt Smith wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 1:42 PM, Kurt Smith<kwmsm...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> <snip>

>>> Good -- I sent an email to Pearu Peterson on the f2py-dev list to get
>>> his official approval, to check on licensing compatibilites, and to
>>> sort out the nuts and bolts of versioning fparser once it stabilizes,
>>> etc.
>>
>> I have Pearu's permission to include fparser in Cython.  Fparser is
>> BSD licensed, and I'll be reading through it to see what requirements
>> there are.  If the following site is authoritative:
>>
>> http://www.dwheeler.com/essays/floss-license-slide.html
>>
>> then it looks like we won't have licensing issues.
>
> It would be worth asking Pearu to explicitly give his code to you under the
> Apache license. He doesn't have to relicense fparser in general, but just give
> it to you under that license so you can correctly claim that all of Cython is
> Apache licensed.
>
> It's an annoying process for substantially similar licenses, but it will make
> few things easier down the line. In particular, if Cython is still serious
> about
> inclusion into the standard library, this is a necessity since the PSF will
> accept Apache-licensed code and not BSD-licensed code.

I'm just curious.  Why does the PSF reject BSD-licensed code, but
accept Apache-licensed code, given that the Apache license is vastly
more restrictive than BSD?  I can understand this, but find it
surprising.

The Apache license isn't GPL v2 compatible according to the FSF by the
way, but it is GPL v3 compatible
(http://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html).   This is
relevant to another thread on sage-devel right now, because we claim
jsmath is the only Apache licensed code in Sage.  In fact Cython is
another Apache-licensed component of Sage.
In our COPYING.txt file we write:

cython                               GPL (pyrex has no restrictions)

which is clearly very wrong.

 -- William

> I believe this was one of
> the original reasons for using the Apache license for Cython to begin with.
>
> --
> Robert Kern

>  that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
>  an underlying truth."
>   -- Umberto Eco

William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics