On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 4:56 PM, rjf<fate...@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the risk of providing some information about what is probably going
> on,
> let me suggest the following.
>
> 1. The expand() command in Maxima is almost always the wrong thing to
> do if the argument is a polynomial.
> ratexpand() or ratsimp() or rat()  will be much faster.  I suspect
> that in your timings of Maxima, the major
> contributor may be expand.
>
> 2. This is not a good test of polynomial factoring, because it does
> uses only a trivial part of the algorithm,
> and that is the square-free factoring part, that consists of computing
> P' a derivative of P and a gcd(P,P').
>
> Mostly you are testing the gcd program, but only the case of the gcd
> program for gcd(a,b) where, almost all
> the time, a divides b.  So you are not even testing the gcd program,
> you are testing polynomial division with remainder.
>
> Now if that is what you want to test, fine.  If you want to test
> polynomial factoring, there is a substantial
> literature on how to choose polynomials that are difficult to factor.
> Especially large degree is not really necessary.
>
> While it is only a speculation on my part, I think what you may also
> be timing is the conversion of
> relatively large character strings, at least in some cases.
>
> I hope you can straighten this out before you present your results at
> your conference.

Thanks for joining the discussion. My presentation is on Thursday, so
I'll try to send my slides to sage+sympy lists tomorrow, so that you
can look at it and see if I say something that is unfair to Maxima, or
any other program.

Does anyone know some real life applications of factor(<some
polynomial>)? E.g. simplifications, like canceling common factors from
nominator/denominator, but is there anything else?

I would like to use some real life application as a benchmark, I just
don't know any.

Ondrej