HZ wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have just downloaded and installed sagemath 4.1.1 in my computer on
> which Debian unstable is running.  After successfully decompressing
> the tarball and change directory into it, the launch of `./sage'
> command fails however.  It seems that there are some bash programming
> errors in the script.  To be detail:
>
> $ cd sage-4.1.1-linux-Debian_GNU_Linux_5.0_lenny-i686-Linux/
> $ ./sage
> | Sage Version 4.1.1, Release Date: 2009-08-14                       |
> | Type notebook() for the GUI, and license() for information.        |
> /home/hzwang/sage-4.1.1-linux-Debian_GNU_Linux_5.0_lenny-i686-Linux/
> local/bin/sage-sage: line 199: 25989 Illegal instruction     sage-
> ipython "$@" -i
> $

Anytime I've ever heard of the "Illegal instruction" error, it's always
been a problem with the binary not being compatible with the processor,
not with the OS.  The sage binary is compiled on a certain processor
that expects certain capabilities, and if you run it on a processor
without those capabilities, you get the illegal instruction warnings.

The fix is to compile sage on your machine.  Just download the source,
untar, change into that directory, and type "make".  It'll take a few
hours, but then you'll have a binary compiled for your processor.

Thanks,

Jason