On Aug 25, 9:59 pm, Jason Moxham <ja...@njkfrudils.plus.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 August 2009 20:35:48 Juanjo wrote:
> > I think that the cheapest solution is the one you suggested: allocate
> > the bignums manually and hope that GMP does not reallocate them. This
> > can be easily done in ECL, because the actual bignum creation is
> > restricted to a few functions in src/c/big.d. In all calculations with
> > bignums the  procedure is as follows:
> >  1* Identify bignum operands
> >  2* Create one or more intermediate operators as GMP integers with
> > some preallocated limbs.
> >  3* Perform the calculations using the intermediate operators.
> >  4* Create a bignum object from the intermediate value.
> >  5* Clear that intermediate operator.
> > Steps 2,3,5 would work even with Sage's allocator, just by ensuring
> > that step 5* uses mpz_clear (Right now we do not need it). Step 4*
> > would be the only one to change, manually allocating the memory that
> > GMP needs.
>
> GMP will still need to allocate memory for internal needs using its
> allocator,
> but it is freed again . If the destination operand has enough memory for the
> largest possible output +1 then this should be enough , although I dont know
> if we can guarantee it , or if we want to( ie if we guarantee it now , then
> we have to forever)

I think you do not understand steps 4 and 5: we already KNOW the size
of the memory that we have to allocate using ECL's allocator. We will
be simply copying an integer created by GMP to a location that is
private for ECL and that neither GMP nor ECL will manage -- it belongs
to the garbage collector. After creating ECL's copy, the integer
created with GMP can be cleared. As I said, allocation and
deallocation of intermediate values can be done using Sage's memory
manager, for ECL will guarantee that every integer which is created
will be destroyed as well.

Juanjo