> Aldor is the "second generation" alternative to the Spad compiler. It
> is not part of FriCAS because of different (non-free) license
> restrictions. The aldor interface itself is part of FriCAS but it is
> only built by default if Aldor is first separately installed on the
> same computer.
>
> I personally think that Aldor is a very important part of FriCAS
> because it is much more flexible and reliable compiler than Spad.
> Others Axiom/FriCAS users might disagree - I think primarily because
> of the licensing issues.
>
> If Aldor and the FriCAS Aldor interface is installed, then it is
> possible to use Aldor from Sage the same way as using Spad.  Some
> months ago I submitted a patch to sage-devel to implement the FriCAS
> ')compile' command from the Sage axiom.py interface but I don't think
> it ever got into trac. Are you (or is anyone else) interested in this?

For fun, I got the SVN version of aldor and built it. It worked
properly for a simple test. When I tried to build fricas I got the
error as mentioned previously. I should note that I also get an error
if I run the aldor tests using 'make testaxl' so perhaps there is an
issue with my aldor installation.

Adam