This brings back memories -- my father went to work for the Rand
Corporation (System Development Division -- later spun off as SDC) in
1956 to join project SAGE.  He was later the site leader of one of the
SAGE installations at Stewart AFB in Newburgh, NY.  The SAGE computer
-- the ANFSQ7 (or Q7) was quite a spectacle -- it weighed over 300
tons and used 3 megawatts of power to run.  Magnetic core memory was
developed for it, and it's arithmetic unit was in a large room -- run
by tubes.  There was an air force private (or corporal) on duty in the
arithmetic unit all the time to replace the tubes as they blew out
(each one had backups, and would switch to it automatically when it
blew).  It also had a specialized Polaroid camera (one of the first
built) with a wide angle lens which would automatically snap a picture
of the lights and switches on the console in case the machine crashed
(which was very rare -- I think that all the Q7's were down less than
3 hours per year throughout all their history).

Victor