I've seen various spkg-install files where there is something like:

if [ `uname` = "Darwin" -a "$SAGE64" = "yes" ]; then
    echo "Building 64 bit OSX version of Sage"
    CFLAGS="-O2 -g -m64 " && export CFLAGS
    LDFLAGS="-m64"
fi

I've yet to find any linker for which -m64 is a flag. Neither the GNU
linker, the Sun linker, or a linker on OS X, have -m64 as a flag. It is
accepted by most compilers, but not linkers.

In those fives lines above, which appear in many spkg-install files,
there are several things wrong.

* If someone set SAGE64 to 'yes' on ANY platform, you would think they
would want a 64-bit build, so why it was only done for Darwin I don't know.

* LDFLAGS is set, but unlike CFLAGS is not exported. Which is perhaps a
good thing, as -m64 is not a linker flag.

* It's hard to see why the options -O2 and -g are needed on Darwin, but
not on other platforms. Perhaps someone thought it was a good idea to
add debug support on OS X, but not on any other platform. Perhaps they
thought OS X is so slow, that it needs the code optimised, but other
platforms do not!

Seriously, some of the spkg-install files leave a bit to be desired.

dave