On Aug 30, 11:21 am, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

/ ...

> Actually, there is little interaction between the compiled Sage and the
> linux install.  Sage is almost self-contained.

Yes, but when compiling from source, the relationship with the
compiler can only be described as intimate.

> > Since my first post I have tried this compilation several times on
> > different machines (all running Fedora 11), and always with the same
> > result -- at some point, the compilation allocates all available
> > memory and crashes.
>
> Since you're willing to invest that much energy, I strongly recommend trying
> a different version of GCC.   There is a known bug in PARI or GCC, compiling
> specifically that file in PARI.

Oh, well, I can't realistically pick a compiler from a list -- there
are too many unintended interactions. BTW I wasn't able to get distcc
to work either (an experience it seems others have had).

> Is there an easy command line way to upgrade Fedora 10 to Fedora 11?

AFAIK, no. It's a big jump, irreversible for all practical purposes. I
will be happy to be corrected about this. BTW Fedora generally
recommends full installation over upgrade.

Oh, one possibility -- a bootable CD or DVD would allow Fedora 11 to
run in a temporary way, if slowly, without interfering with the prior
HDD installation. A Fedora 11 live CD link (to an ISO file):

http://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/releases/11/Live/i686/Fedora-11-i686-Live.iso

This might allow you to see what the issues are without committing to
a Fedora 11 installation.

>  Our build machines are:
>
> wst...@fedora32:~$ cat /etc/issue
> Fedora release 10 (Cambridge)
> Kernel \r on an \m (\l)
>
> and console access is somewhat painful.

I think this compiler issue will have to get sorted out some other
way. In the meantime, I have discovered that the current (4.1.1)
Debian binary download will run in Fedora 11 without any special
effort (even though the current Fedora 10 binary won't run on Fedora
11).