Jason,

> If you want a couple of reasons why we should delete our axes and
> gridlines code and instead shift that functionality to matplotlib, read
> the next section.
Thank you so much for putting in this effort!! When I wrote most of
the axes code, over 3 years ago, matplotlib was considerable less
amazing than it is now.  Today it is a quite impressive, well thought-out,
and mature project.

I fully support moving as moved code as possible to use matplotlib,
and I greatly appreciate the fact that you are taking the initiative to
do so.

thanks,
Alex