On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:

> Hi Pavel,
>
> thanks a lot for the feedback on the notebook. I think every single
> point that you raised annoys me too and it should be fixed.
>
> I have also CCed sage-devel.
>
> Ondrej
>
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Pavel Solin <so...@unr.edu> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   by now I spent many hours with programming inside the
> > web notebook, so here are some suggestions how to make
> > this kind of work more pleasant:
> >
> > (1) Coloring source code would help a lot.

This was explored before, I believe, and found too slow. I think this merits
a bit of looking into again, though, since Javascript engines have sped up
by a lot recently. I'm sure we can take some inspiration from Bespin (
http://bespin.mozilla.com).

> > (2) Saving worksheets is cumbersome, there should be
> >       a possibility to save all user's worksheets at once.

+1.

> > (3) When image is saved and latex some text written to output, the
> >       image anyway appears after the text. So one does not
> >       have an opportunity to create a sequence of images
> >       with some text description below each of them. This should
> >       be fixed.

I'm not certain I understand this.

> > (4) If the program becomes longer, it is cumbersome to
> >       scroll down to the "evaluate" button, then look at the output,
> >       then scroll a long way up again to fix a minor issue, and
> >       repeat the whole process. Most of the time, one only works on
> >       one function but needs to scroll through the text of all the
> >       other ones too. It would help a lot to be able to collapse
> >       functions which are not being edited at the moment (but
> >       they still would be evaluated all together).

Code folding, then? There is a workaround for this: placing each function
into its own cell, which is what I do. Although yeah, this would be handy.
Once again, Bespin can serve as inspiration. +1.

> > (5) Undo was already discussed, this functionality is much needed.

This is partially fulfilled by auto-save + revisions, although I believe
William is working on improvements on that. Well, +1.

> > (6) The default graphical resolution of images is not too good.
> >       It would be nice to have some handle on it, as well as on their
> >       size and position in the browser. It should be possible to
> >       put several of them next to each other horizontally, etc.
> >       Perhaps this is possible and I just do not know how to do it.

+1. I think matplotlib can output SVG files (can someone confirm?), so maybe
we should use them instead.

> > (7) I have now approx. 8 different worksheets for elementary
> >       numerical methods and there will be (hopefully many) more.
> >       It would be useful for me to compose my private "library" from
> >       which I could then import any of them in the same way as things
> >       are imported from sympy, numpy etc. This would greatly
> >       facilitate classroom demonstrations.

+oo.

--
Tim Joseph Dumol <tim (at) timdumol (dot) com>