On Sep 26, 6:05 pm, Robert Bradshaw <rober...@math.washington.edu>
wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2009, at 3:45 PM, lutusp wrote:
>

> > I 'm in the process of writing a Sage tutorial at http://
> > arachnoid.com/sage.
> > I'm about about halfway through the project, the completed pages may
> > be a useful resource, and I wanted to (1) announce this, and (2) ask
> > for comments from people willing to read the articles.
>
> Very cool, we can always use more quality documentation!

Thank you!

> Some comments
>
> 1) Several places you have
>
> sage: var('a b c d')
> (a b c d)
>
> There should be commas between the variables in the output.

Fixed, thank you.

> 2) It'd be nice to disable the double-click for definition in the
> input/output cells, as it makes it hard to hilight stuff (and the
> hover-then-copy isn't working for me).

After much effort, it turns out I can't do this (disable double-
click). Sorry. I had hoped everyone would be able to click-and-drag
across the input cells. Can you please tell me if clicking once and
dragging across the input cells works for you?

I ask because I've discovered that double-clicking (even triple-
clicking) won't automatically select a multi-line text block (in any
browser), and many of my input boxes are in this class. So for this
copy & paste business to work at all, people must be able to to click
& drag.

I also know that an explicit pushbutton approach to copying text to
the clipboard is now out for security reasons. All this clicking an
dragging seems rather primitive, but there are no alternatives.

> 3) "In computer math, operations inside parentheses are performed
> before operations outside parentheses. " Actually, this is the
> general rule for non-computer math as well.

Changed. I know what I had in mind, but I agree it's misleading.

> 4) "Invalid syntax" means you typed something that it wasn't able to
> understand. (This could be many different things...)

Reworded.

> 5) "The reason Sage didn't automatically provide a numerical result
> has to do with something called "complex numbers" (even though the
> argument is explicitly numerical)."
>
> Well, actually it's because the square root couldn't be represented
> exactly. Another more colloquial way to say that, which would flow
> nice, is that it doesn't know how many digits you want.

Reworded -- and I think the new version is more entertaining,
referring to the exalted position of integers in mathematics.

> 6) N(pi),1000) -> N(pi, 1000)

Fixed.

> Very nice examples in section 4 & 5.

Thank you!

And thank you as well for your useful comment and corrections. Apart
from the double-click issue, I've incorporated them all. I am more
than open to any further comments you would like to make.