William Stein wrote:
>> Looking at  spkg/base/prereq-0.3-install (the file I just updated) to
>> 0.4 I see:
>>
>> -----------------------
>> if [ "$SAGE_PORT" = "" ]; then
>>    if [ `uname | sed -e 's/WIN.\+/WIN/'` = "CYGWIN" ]; then
>>       echo "Building or using SAGE with Cygwin is absolutely definitely"
>>       echo "not supported, and will definitely not work.  The only way"
>>       echo "to run SAGE on Windows, is via VMware (or Virtual PC or "
>>       echo "some other virtualization system such as andLinux)."
>>       echo "NOTE: SAGE used to support Cygwin several months ago
>> (around March"
>>       echo "2007), so you may have seen some old documentation about this."
>>       exit -1
>>    fi
>> -------------------------------
>>
>> then late down I see:
>>
>> -----------------------------
>> if [ "$UNAME" = "CYGWIN" ]; then
>>     echo "Unfortunately, building SAGE on Cygwin is no longer supported."
>>     echo "Please use a virtualization solution instead, such as vmware."
>>     exit 1
>> fi
>>
>> -----------------------------
>>

>> I assumed from that, you had given up supporting cygwin, rather than you
>> were actively trying to develop it.
>>

>> If you can make some suggestions about what you actually want written
>> between those 'if' statements, I'll write it.
>>
>> Dave
>
> Thanks.   How about this:
>
> if [ "$UNAME" = "CYGWIN" ]; then
>     echo "Unfortunately, building SAGE on Cygwin is not currently supported,"
>     echo "though we are actively working on supporting it.  If you would like"
>     echo "to help with the porting effort, please post to"
>     echo ""
>     echo "   http://groups.google.com/group/sage-windows";
>     echo ""
>     echo "Also, see http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/6743";
>     echo "In the meantime, to run Sage on Windows, please use"
>     echo "a virtualization solution instead, such as vmware."
>     exit 1
> fi

In the updated prereq I have put at
http://sage.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/Solaris-fixes/prereq-0.4/
the wording has been changed to what you wanted.

I thought VirtualBox was working better than VMware now, so perhaps
there should be a bit of a suggestion to use VirtualBox rather than
VMware. But at the minute, the wording is as you say.