francesco biscani wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 8:16 AM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>> Does there need to be a Fortran compiler on the system to build Sage, or
>>  is the fortran-20071120.p9 package a fortran compiler able to build Sage?
>>
>> The reason I ask is that if there is no need for a Fortran compiler, it
>> is quite possible the standard C/C++ compiler shipped with Solaris
>> (3.4.3) could build Sage. It would appear that whatever code in
>> ratpoints is requiring a 4.0.1 or later compiler is not compiled on
>> Solaris.
>>
>> There is an issue with PolyBoRi, but I suspect with a minor change to
>> the code that could be worked around.
>
> Just out of curiosity, what is the reason behind Solaris shipping with
> such an ancient compiler? I mean, GCC 3.4.3 was released short of 5
> years ago, it is not maintained anymore by the original developers (I
> think), it has no Fortran > 77 support, poor compliance to C++
> standard, etc.

You would have to ask Sun for a real answer, but I can take an educated
guess.

I suspect it is the cost of testing a new version properly. Solaris is
aimed at the big corporate market, where having stability is more
important than the latest and greatest. They could have no doubt built
with Fortran, Java, Ada and whatever else compiled in, but chose not to.

Another argument might be they ship a better compiler anyway. Sun Studio
can be downloaded free. The problem is a lot of code is Sage will not
build with Sun Studio. It's not helped by the fact that at least 10% of
the Sage packages don't even respect the CC variable.

dave