Minh Nguyen wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Dr. David Kirkby
> <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>
> <SNIP>
>
>> Learn more from my ticket at
>>
>> http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7188
>
> I was attracted by the following comment of yours:
>
> {{{
> I've tested this on
>
>     * AIX 6.1, compliments of  http://www.metamodul.com/10.html
> }}}
>
> The URL suggests that anyone can get a free account on an AIX 6.1
> machine. Is that true? How long have you been using that AIX account?
> Can you tell us about your experiences on that machine, in particular,
> describing the development toolchain? What's the system resources,
> disk quota, and transfer rate like with a free account?

Hi Minh,

it would appear anyone can get a free AIX account for development of
open-source software.

I have an IBM RS6000 7025 F50 (old 32-bit machine) which I intend wiping
the dust off and powering up. So I started asking some questions on
comp.unix.aix, as it is many years since I last used AIX.

Someone posted a comment saying he could offer me a free AIX account on
a much newer release than I have, and to either email him or look at his
web site

http://www.metamodul.com/10.html

So I emailed him, said I needed at least 3 GB for Sage, and said my
preferred user name would be 'drkirkby'.

I got a response saying I could have 8 GB, giving me the login details
etc. I'm told at the end of Nov. the machine will be relocated thus it
will be unavailable for about 4 days.

Having looked around the machine a little I also see:

$ uptime
   07:09AM   up 33 days,  17:35,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

so it does not seem overloaded or forever being rebooted. gcc 4.2.4 is
on the machine, as are the native IBM compilers.

I downloaded the latest sage tarball in 23 minutes, at 232K/s, so the
network speed seems ok.

AIX is still a current operating system, sold for IBM servers - think
Sage servers. I wonder if IBM would be interested in providing any
support. (One way which would be useful to me is free upgrade of AIX and
development tools).

IMHO it would be good if we could support AIX, along with HP-UX, which
is again still current. That would be another two advantages over
Mathematica.

It would need some effort from others to test their software on other
platforms, but the patch I posted

http://sagetrac.org/sage_trac/ticket/7188

is needed for Solaris too.

I have not tried building Sage on AIX yet, but I will have a go in the
next day or two.

I certainly intend testing any patches I make on AIX and HP-UX from now
on. (I have my own HP-UX box).

So if you want an AIX account, it looks like an email will get you one.

It's almost certain some bits of Sage will not build on AIX, but if at
least all the spkg-install files are written so they don't break with
AIX and HP-UX, it would be good.

Dave