On Oct 11, 7:53 pm, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was reading theeclbinaries and grepping around (I felt a bit like
> a "warez person" for a moment)... and found this in the binary:
>
>     ... ecld...@cannot findECL'sdirectory^...
>
> So I tried setting ECLDIR, and that fixes the problem.  Maybe we just
> broken setting it somewhere?   Or?

I am not familiar with the way Sage builds / installs ECL in its own
tree. I presume Sage's aims are to have a relocatable structure that
can be installed anywhere.

ECL, however, needs to find itself and its data, libraries, help
files, etc. In Unices we hardcode the installation paths in the
executable, as any other reasonable program does. After all we have
standards. In Windows we find out where the executable resides and
infer from it the location of all other files.

However, there is still the option of moving the binaries and its
associated data. If this is done, then you have to set up an
environment variable, ECLDIR, pointing to the directory where those
files are. To give you an idea, those are the files that would go to /
usr/local/lib/ecl-9.10.2/ if the prefix is set to /usr/local and the
release is 9.10.2

As I said, I believe this has to do more with how ECL is integrated
into a Sage package, than with the standard uses and abuses of
autoconf'ed programs.

Juanjo