Hi Gonzalo,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Gonzalo Tornaria
<torna...@math.utexas.edu> wrote:

> For comparision, I'm using kvm to virtualize our sage notebook server.
> Here's the timings for your scripts:
>
> A) the real hardware
>
> 0.196608066559
> 1
>
> 0.191864967346
> -500000
>
> B) the kvm instance
>
> 0.219820976257 (11.8% slowdown)
> 1
>
> 0.213951826096 (11.5% slowdown)
> -500000

Interesting. Do you have some notes about your KVM setup? I want to
try it as well, as the ubuntu guys seem to prefer it over virtualbox:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

I guess I'll follow this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation

as to:

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:32 PM, Martin Albrecht
<m...@informatik.uni-bremen.de> wrote:

> I assume the VirtualBox image is 32-bit and your native OS is 64-bit? So it
> isn't that surprising that computations with bigger numbers are somewhat
> slower (13x is a bit much still, me thinks)

Yes, it is 32bit Virtual box.

Ondrej