While I personally tend to want more things standard in sage, I
realize that's related to the fact that I've never really tried to
help port sage to things like Windows and Solaris.  I think to be
consistent we would need to have libtiff and libjpeg as optional
packages for a while, and make them standard if they pass the usual
hurdles (conform to the spkg requirements on the wiki, build and pass
tests on all supported platforms, and get a passing developer vote).
But I am +1 to their eventual inclusion, I don't Sage can be taken
seriously for image processing  until they are standard.

By the way, I have tried the libjpeg spkg and it worked well on an
intel mac running 10.4.11.  Thanks for creating that!

-Marshall