On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 11:09 PM, Stan Schymanski <schym...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would love to have a script that converts old names in a whole
> worksheet to new names. Every time someone deprecates an old name, he
> could add the relevant line to the script.
>
> Would that be possible? What I would love even more, is a notebook
> conversion function such as the one that converted my old notebook to
> the sage 4.2 format, but I suppose this is not possible for more
> complicated changes than just names. MMA asks the user to "Scan notebook
> for possible issues" if you open an old notebook with a new version of
> MMA, but this is not always helpful.

Wow, this is the most interesting suggestion I've heard so far related
to deprecation and renaming of functions in Sage.    It would be great
if we had a framework for doing the above... if it's possible.  It's
hard to imagine how it could be though, given how incredibly dynamic
Python is.  It seems like the easiest thing is to just run your code
and view the deprecation warnings that are emitted.  This would work
so long as we never remove anything we deprecate, which seems silly.

So, it would be cool to have something like you describe, but I have
no idea how to implement it, or even if it is possible.

--
William Stein
Associate Professor of Mathematics