2009/11/9 Gonzalo Tornaria <torna...@math.utexas.edu>:

> David,
>
> On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM, David Kirkby <david.kir...@onetel.net> wrote:
>>
>> If you look on the thread
>>
>> " Do we need "cp -a" - or would 'cp -pR' do ?"
>>
>> you may have noticed that Gonzalo Tornaria  has discovered that
>> "local/bin/python" is a hardlink to "local/bin/python2.6". From what I
>> understand, this is the only hard link in Sage. It would be better if
>> this could be replaced by a symbolic link.
>
> you missed my answer in the other thread:

Sorry, only got a laptop with me and using gmail. I find Thunderbird
much better to use, but it is not so convenient when I'm not at home,
which I am not.

>> I would have thought so too. But I'm puzzled, as python-2.6.2.p4/spkg-install
>> creates a symbolic link. It has the line:
>>
>> ln -s python2.6 python
>
> This is actually creating a local/lib/python symlink to local/lib/python2.6.
>
> It seems to me the line at fault is in file
> python-2.6.2.p4/src/Makefile.pre.in, line 763:
>
>       (cd $(DESTDIR)$(BINDIR); $(LN) python$(VERSION)$(EXE) $(PYTHON))
>
> an "-s" option to that could make a difference, I think. (I didn't try it)
>
> Gonzalo

Thank you. I'll give that a try when I get back home.

Hopefully, that iwth the options you suggested to 'cp' should allow a
binary to be created on any platform, without excess bloat;

Dave.