I'm probably not the typical sage user in that I use a broad array of tools
alongside and integrated into Sage.  While Sage makes life easier for many
by including virtually everything anyone would need in one massive install,
where there are package replications, it becomes problematic.

Previously, I only needed to rip out a few of the Sage libraries... zlib
comes to mind although there are others.   With Ubuntu 9.10, however, I find
that gnutls collides as well.  I can fix this with a script also but I
wonder if we don't need to think about this more generally.

I wonder if there isn't a better approach wherein mainstream packages are
detected and not installed if they exist.... Or am I the only one
experiencing this difficulty?

-glenn

--
Glenn H. Tarbox, PhD ||  206-274-6919 || gl...@tarbox.org - xmpp || ghtdak -