I've created a couple of scripts which can check what compiler the variables CC
and CXX refer to. They are a bit more complex than the usual things that grep
the output, as these check what the pre-processor defines. As such, they should
be very reliable indicators.

For example, setting CC=tar will not indicate it is the GNU compiler, despite
the fact tar --version will output GNU !!!

I think the scripts need to go to SAGE_LOCAL/bin, but I've no idea where in the
Sage source they should be placed.

These have been tested on numerous platforms (Linux, OSX, Solaris, HP-UX, AIX)
using various compilers (GNU and commerical). The test results are all in the
ticket.

Any takers?

Dave