Here we use NFS and Sage: we have 3 computers. The first one receives
all the users'directories in a directory /ws. /ws is exported to the 2nd
and 3rd computer and we have no performance problems. But ok, this is
not the same configuration as yours where you have a lot of computers
and only one nfs server.

The worsheets are very small objects; so I guess that the problem is
somewhere else.

If your nfs server is a linux machine, try to optimize it. There are
some references about this: have more nfs daemons, have larger packet
size. But may be you an other sort of network problem.

t.d.