kstueve wrote:

> On Nov 25, 12:34 pm, "Dr. David Kirkby" <david.kir...@onetel.net>
> wrote:
>> It would appear to me that it would be very easy for a "script kiddie" to
>> write
>> a a program which created huge numbers of accounts on a Sage server, perform
>> some CPU intensive computation on them, and bring the system to a near
>> standstill. This is generally known as a denial of service attack.
>>
>> I wonder if there should be some sort of question that only a human can
>> answer,
>> before an account is created. I find some of the sites which use obfuscated
>> letters and numbers almost impossible to use, as the degree of obfuscation is
>> too large.
>>
>> As Sage gets better known, the chances of this happening only increase.
> Someone might even try creating Sage worksheets that function as
> vectors for spam.

One one around that is to block outgoing traffic on port 25 with a firewall,
but
of course, that is not much use if you want to be able to send mail from the
machine.

On Solaris one can block outgoing ports in a zone, without affecting the rest
of
the machine. In fact, if someone gets root access in a zone, they can do no
damage elsewhere.

I know one of the BSD's supports a 'jail', where again the same could be done.
do not know about Linux, but perhaps it has a similar system, where you can run
an insecure service in a zone/jail/restricted area, so any hacker can't do much
damage.

Perhaps there is a project there, to get a computer science student to find all
the ways to attack a Sage server, and then fix any problems.

I once had one of my web sites attacked. Someone managed to set up one of these
sites which were designed to trick people into thinking it was a bank. The
banks
must employ companies to monitor for this, so it was one of those companies
that
bought this to my attention.

If you serve only static pages, it is very difficult for someone to attack a
web
server. But once you start supporting scripting languages like PHP, or CGI
scripts, the avenues for attack increase. I would see Sage would fall into the
latter category.

Dave