William Stein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've posted a new version of the compmath proposal here:
>
>     http://wstein.org/grants/compmath09/project_summary.pdf
>     http://wstein.org/grants/compmath09/project_description.pdf
>     http://wstein.org/grants/compmath09/references_cited.pdf
>
> This is basically the final version, though I could probably fix some
> typos.  So if you read it and see typos, let me know.   If you see
> anything technically seriously wrong/stupid, also let me know.
>
> Thanks,
>
>  -- William

I'm not on the NSF committee to review this but it appears that
you are asking for funding for Sage days. One of the "innovative"
Sage days listed for funding is a "Bug Smash" day. So one of the
four days of funding is for debugging work.

Am I misreading the proposal? Is a "Bug Smash" day "innovative"?

If nothing else, you might retitle the day to something else.

Believe me, I understand the critical importance of bug smashing
to the progress and success of the project. I'm just not sure that
the committee might not consider it worth funding. I see a lot of
words, like the S-Dyer proposal but I couldn't get funding at CCNY
to work on the Andrews-Curtis conjecture from Infinite Group Theory
(see http://daly.axiom-developer.org in the bottom right corner)

Magnus is the largest Infinite Group Theory project and was
originally created through NSF funding. At one point, the funding
dried up, about the time I became lead developer, although I'm
not sure that correlation implies causation in this case.

Tim