To my knowledge, Linux, OS X and Solaris all come with bzip2 as standard.

Would it not be more sensible to distribute Sage binaries as .bzip2, as it will
save download time? I'd also suggest using the '--best' option, which will give
the best compression, at the expense of CPU time during the compression process.
(To the best of my knowledge, it does not affect the decompression process.)

I know there are even better compressors around, but these tend to be less
common.

Dave