On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:35 PM, David Roe <r...@math.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hey John,
> I worked on it tonight, and I'm not sure how much you want to optimize it.
> Is a factor of 2 or 3 speedup worth making the code much less readable (I'd
> include comments, but...)?  I could also probably improve a few things and
> get maybe 10% and leave it mostly as is.
> David

I posted some remarks on the ticket.   My initial benchmarks suggest
that John's implementation of AGM may be about 10 times slower than
PARI's, and that Magma's (which is only in the real case) may be 10
times faster than PARI... making John's 100 times slower than Pari?
Hopefully I'm wrong, but that's what I get.  So I hope there is a way
to speed it up by more than a factor of 2 or 3.

 -- William