François Bissey wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009 14:49:38 William Stein wrote:
>> Better would be a single environment variable such as
>>
>>    SAGE_USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARY="readline libz sqlite"
>>
>> with a space separated list of libraries
>>
> I was going to suggest something like that myself.
> That would just be the one variable instead of 100(?)
> possible variables.

I agree, one variable would be better than 100.

I'm not so sure a space is the best item to separate the names. Personally I
think the more common ':' as used in PATH would be better.

Typing 'env' on my own system, I see only commas and colons used to separate
lists of items - never a space.

> It would only be effective if the
> variable is not empty and we could put a check only
> in the spkg we think are "safe" to use a system library.
>  Francois

Since this is really only going to be used by developers, I would suggest no
such restriction is imposed.

What might be 'safe' on one platform, might not be on another. In cases where a
  library is causing a build problem, it might be worth disabling that library,
even if it's totally unsafe to do so. I would revisit the issue of safety once
Sage has actually built.

Would libgpg_error and libgcrypt have been on your 'safe' list? I'm not sure if
they are safe or not, but disabling them on OpenSolaris does at least allow the
build to progress a bit more than it otherwise would.

Once Sage has built, it would be good if there was a way of getting the list of
libraries which were in this list at compile time. In fact, it could be useful
to store all information about the build environment one possibly could, output
of uname -a, hostid, PATH, username, etc etc etc.