Okay, I'm late to this party, but I'm very interested in this issue, as
I have plans to write a book that would be licensed under something like
GFDL or CC by-sa.

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 at 10:24PM -0700, Jason Grout wrote:
> So it still seems that GFDL has some sort of requirement about
> distributing a "Transparent copy" (in my case, a latex file; again,
> for details, see the the actual license).  To my understanding,
> CC-by-sa has no such requirement to deliver a "Transparent copy", so,
> if I understand things correctly, I am perfectly legal in extensively
> modifying a CC-by-sa book (from the latex file obtained under the
> CC-by-sa license) and then only distributing the resulting pdf file,
> licensed under CC-by-sa.  That's why I wish Creative Commons had an
> option to have some sort of requirement for a "Transparent Copy"
> distribution, like GFDL, making something like a CC-by-sa-src license.

To help myself understand this stuff, I imagined that I had written my
great book and that someone now wants to use its content. What sorts of
uses do I want to allow, and what things do I want to prevent? My book
would be a regular sort of math book, and perhaps someone else writing a
book would want to include one of the chapters from my book. The GFDL
would require "Transparent" copies and copies of the full license, which
seems a bit annoying; if my book was licensed CC by-sa, someone could
put one of my chapters into their own book or whatever and simply
include a couple little statements of source, authorship and license;
only a few inconspicuous sentences would be required.

I think I would be very happy if I wrote my book and someone else wanted
to include a version of one of the chapters into their own work, even if
that work otherwise used ordinary copyright, and if readers of the new
book didn't have access to "Transparent" copies, or if they had to
visit creativecommons.org to see the license. So in this one instance,
the CC license strikes me as better than GFDL.

Dan

--
---  Dan Drake
-----  http://mathsci.kaist.ac.kr/~drake