Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
I get the following problem when trying to make a 64-bit build of Sage
on Open Solaris (Intel Xeon processor). I would add the build of ATLAS
failed, so I had to just skip that.

[...]

File
"/export/home/drkirkby/sage-4.3.1.alpha1/spkg/build/numpy-1.3.0.p2/src/numpy/distutils/command/build_src.py",
line 307, in generate_sources
source = func(extension, build_dir)
File "numpy/core/setup.py", line 286, in generate_config_h
moredefs, ignored = cocache.check_types(config_cmd, ext, build_dir)
File "numpy/core/setup.py", line 30, in check_types
out = check_types(*a, **kw)
File "numpy/core/setup.py", line 186, in check_types
"Cannot compiler 'Python.h'. Perhaps you need to "\
SystemError: Cannot compiler 'Python.h'. Perhaps you need to install
python-dev|python-devel.
Error building numpy.

real 0m0.385s
user 0m0.249s
sys 0m0.126s

Same here. I thought this is caused by an incomplete install of Python.

On Fedora python-devel is a separate package:

Name       : python-devel
Arch       : x86_64
Version    : 2.6.2
Release    : 2.fc12