Sebastian Pancratz wrote:
Further to my earlier post, a search for "def factor(self," in the
Sage library reveals that there are a lot of instances where the
factoring method supports various arguments.  Thus, at the very least,
I think the fraction field implementation should allow further
arguments, too, and simply forward them, that is, the code should
change from

def factor(self):
    return self.numerator().factor()/self.denominator().factor()

def factor(self, *args)
    return self.numerator().factor(args)/self.denominator().factor
(args)

Moreover, I guess the parameter "proof" should be documented in the
method "factor" for multivariate polynomials.

I haven't read this thread very carefully, but just from a python perspective, you probably want something like the following to pass on all of the arguments.

def factor(self, *args, **kwds)
     return self.numerator().factor(*args,**kwds)/self.denominator().factor
(*args,**kwds)

Thanks,

Jason